Sunday, July 18, 2010

going backwards??

So, I was so excited to post that last update, because I felt like we were SUPER close to getting on the waitlist.  Well, they say to expect the unexpected with adoptions, right? 

One of the things that our awesome agency (AGCI) tells us to look for on all of our documents that are notarized (almost every piece of paperwork in the dossier) is that the notary's name matches their signature.  Sometimes people are in the habit of signing their nickname or whatever.  So...I got everything notarized.  Checked the signature...yep!  Matches the stamp!  I take it downtown where parking is crazy with my 3 sweet, young kiddos to get a document (just one!) county certified.  We play all kinds of whispering games to keep quiet while we wait and wait and wait. To hear the news, "I am so sorry, Ma'am, we have a problem.  The notary applied to be a notary with the name Missy.  Her stamp says Myronette.  We cannot certify this." Apparently to certify it (I had no clue) they go back and get their paperwork that was filed to be a notary and make sure they are legit.

WHAT??  I just looked at him with a blank stare I am sure, and thought through all of the documents that have been notarized by the SAME GIRL.  All but a few in our dossier.  That means we have to redo all of them.  Wow.  So, we head out the door, and I am feeling so defeated.  I thought that that was the last of all of the paperwork.

So, we get in the car, and I am just reminded by the Lord that HE is in control.  HE designed our family.  HE knows who we will get the opportunity to love, care for, and raise on earth.  And even this little detail has so much to do with that.  Because of Missy's application...because we got her to notarize most of our things...we will have a different child.  God is THAT SOVEREIGN! That is amazing to me. 

I press on, being faithful to complete the paperwork and work hard on it...jumping through all of the hoops that we need to to make it to our little one in Ethiopia...and trusting God in His plan and timing all the while.

Now, back to paperwork since the kiddos are sleeping peacefully!!

6 comments:

Becca Harley said...

oh girl - I am so sorry! So encouraged by your outlook - you are right, our God is Sovereign! we had to redo things in our dossier and I cried for hours until His peace came over me - we will have a different child than one week before (three or four higher on the list:) but it is the daughter that He has chosen for us! Praying that it all gets done quickly

Jenny said...

oh man! i'm sorry, erin :( you are so right that the Lord began this in your family and He will bring it to completion! but the waiting is still OH so hard! praying you can get it all fixed quickly!

Sarah said...

Those are the moments that define what the Christian life. It is a life of joy in the midst of frustrations. Praise our sweet, wonderful Lord Jesus. May the Lord grace you through the redo!

Karen said...

Oh my! I cannot imagine how stressful and disappointing that was! And, as someone else already commented...you have such a faithful and amazing perspective. I cannot wait to meet this precious child, knowing that the Lord's hand has been in each and every part of the process. Thank you for allowing us the honor of walking this with you....

Anonymous said...

Erin,

I check your blog on a regular basis to see how things are coming with the adoption. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must have been to hear the words, "We have a problem" when you've been working so long and hard on this paperwork. You have the right outlook on it though. You were obviously meant to have a very specific child/children come into your family and this whole process is unfolding to ensure that it happens. Keep your chin up and keep pushing onward and upward. I pray for a peace beyond all understanding as you go back and resubmit your documentations. Don't let it get you down. Think of that sweet face that is going to be part of your forever family b/c of you and Brian's commitment to the process, and all of your hard work and sacrifice.

Love you! Dana Dlugach

Kelly Jo said...

Hello!! We are an agci family adopting from Ethiopia. We are currently working on our dossier. So excited to take this amazing journey with you!! :)