My heart is FILLED with thankfulness! I don't know how to put it all into words, but I truly got to experience a miracle last weekend. We had a yard sale that we were preparing for for a long time to raise money for our adoption. We had a TON of people donate a TON of things for it! We got to see the generosity of the Lord through the body of Christ in a tangible way. People not only donated their things, but their time and service to help us sort, gather, bake, set up, organize, sell, and clean up!
There were three families in this thing together, and we all were blown away by what God did!
- Thursday was set up day! We had two storage units FILLED, plus things at each of our houses and a storage place at an office! We rented a UHaul and got it all there (after almost 12 hrs of moving!).
- We had an unbelievable location! We have some friends that live at a very busy intersection and they let us use their yard! How generous! Their whole house/yard were taken over!
- We were not going to sell anything on Thursday...just spend the day organizing and setting up. BUT...the Lord had other plans! People saw things coming and they started stopping and buying! At the end of the day, we had raised $3,000!!!!!! WHAT?!? We didn't even remember anything that sold! We looked out into the yard and it was still FULL!!!!
- Friday morning came bright and early! It rained through the night, so everything was wet. We were sad, but people kept coming and not one person even mentioned that things were wet or complained! WHAT??!?
- My sweet friend Kristin (who was one of the families doing the yard sale with us) said that God used the rain to remind her that it is all about what HE was going to do with this...not about our (wet) stuff, the weather, or anything else. Amen!
- At the end of Friday, I think that we had a total of around $8,000!!
- Saturday brought some more rain around lunchtime. We covered everything up and hoped that it would stop soon. People continued to come and were shopping under the plastic covers. WHAT??!?
- At the end of Saturday, we were overwhelmed with emotion, exhausted, and SO VERY THANKFUL for what God had done. It felt like we were in the New Testament but instead of fish and loaves, we were seeing "stuff" and "money" just multiply. It was amazing. Truly.
- A sweet Ethiopian man came!!! He told us pieces about the Ethiopian community here in Memphis, and even the Ethiopian church that he goes to! I can't wait to meet more people from the country our child is from. What a cool way to keep parts of their heritage!
- God used this yard sale to provide for other people in need, too, whether it was a flood victim or a family in need of a carseat, or an encouraging word. It was really sweet to watch.
- In all, the total from the yard sale was $11,200. Again...WHAT??!? Who raises over $11,000 at a yard sale?!? Thank you, Jesus! And...we still had stuff to help two other families get started on gathering for their yard sale next month to raise money for their adoptions! And, when I say stuff, I mean truckloads!
- My sweet friend Wendy (also one of the families doing the yard sale!) sent us an email the week before saying to pray, pray, pray...the theme: beauty from ashes. Wow...did God ever bring beauty from ashes! People donating what they thought was their "junk," to raise SERIOUS funds to bring kiddos home to their forever families. THAT is beauty!